Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wicked Weekend

This past weekend was pretty packed. We tried to divide our time evenly between our families so we could spend some time with both of our moms. On Friday we drove down to Burley and stayed with my family for the night.  We had a great time hanging out and playing games. Zach had just gotten his wisdom teeth pulled that morning so we had a great time laughing at his expense at all of the funny things he said and did while under conscious sedation. My favorite: my mom had to help him go to the bathroom (clarification: she didn't actually have to "help" him go, just get him to the right room and point him towards the bowl - although I had a great time trying to convince Zach she had to do more than that :) So she points him in the right direction and turns her back on him to give him some privacy, but she doesn't hear anything, so they proceed to have the following conversation:
    
                             Mom: "Zach, what are you doing?"
                             Zach: "I don't know."
                             Mom: "You're supposed to be going to the bathroom."
                             Zach: "I can't."
                             Mom: "Why not?"
                             Zach: "There's too many of them."

Not sure if he meant too many toilets or too many wee wees. Either way I laughed.
Zach icing his face

The next day, Brandt and I drove up to Boise to see "Wicked." We had heard so much hype about this play and I've been wanting to see it for a long time, so I was excited to hear they were coming to Boise. My cousin got us the tickets months ago and we weren't sure how good our seats were, but turns out they were awesome! We absolutely loved it. No comparison whatsoever to the book. The songs were fun, the actors were great, set design was amazing, etc. etc. I got chills when Elphaba  (aka the Wicked Witch of the West) sang "Defying Gravity." Other plays we've been to have always gotten a standing ovation when the lead roles come out and take their bows; usually I think they deserve it, but every now and then I think it's just a courteous thing audiences have adapted. But with Wicked, we were all on our feet as soon as the very first actors came out and absolutely roaring when Elphaba and Glinda came out. It was amazing. I would highly recommend it. 

After the play, we grabbed dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. Sooooo good! Although, I must say we were a bit disappointed in the portion size of the cheesecake. Not to say that we needed any more food in our bellies, but when you pay six bucks per slice, you would expect them to be pretty hefty slices. Not so much. But it was still good. And Boise was beautiful! The trees were all in bloom, the weather was perfect. Brandt and I wondered what the heck we're doing in Idaho Falls.

Saturday night we headed back to Burley to spend some time with Brandt's family. We met them at the hospital so we could spend some time with Grandma Hines. She broke her hip last week while trying to cut down a limb from one of her trees and hasn't been recovering very well. We suspect she won't live much longer. I'm not for sure she knew who we were, but it was good to spend some time by her side. She even smiled for us a couple of times.

Sunday (Mother's Day) was pretty low key. Brandt's parents spent most of the day at the hospital, so we hung out with Sheena and Kyle and played a quick game of "Settler's of Catan" before heading home. It was a busy weekend, but so much fun. It was nice to get out of town for a couple of days, visit with our families, and go on a fun date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny Dani. It was so fun having you and Brandt here. I was glad to see your post because I kept forgetting to ask you if you liked Wicked. Glad you had fun and I won't tell Zach you told everybody about his wee wee. LOL Love you
Mom