Saturday, May 8, 2010

Book Review: North River


**
North River
By Pete Hamill

I don't like saying that a book was a waste of time...however, that's kinda how I feel about this one. I picked it up at Barnes & Noble in the bargain bin; and now I know why it was in the bargain bin in the first place. The storyline itself sounds like it would be an interesting read. It's set at the height of the Great Depression in New York City. The main character is a doctor who works with the poor who are mostly unable to pay or pay him very little. His wife has been missing for awhile and he is estranged from his adult daughter when one day his 3-year-old grandson is left on his door-step with a note from his daughter explaining that she needs someone to care for him while she tries to find her husband. The doctor hires a Sicilian woman to help him care for the boy and the story is basically about their day-to-day interactions and how these two people help him come back to life, in a sense.

I was bored with it. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, but nothing ever did. I could go days without picking it up and I never really got into the story. I might have given this book three stars, but because of the language in the book I'm knocking it down to two.

Hopefully the next one will be better: American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
It's been awhile since I've read a nonfiction book, so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: