Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Help


 *****

I should probably be working on my Chicago post, but I've been engrossed in this novel for the past couple of weeks. It's one of my new favorites. The story takes place in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's. It is told from the perspective of three different women: two are black maids that work for white families, and the third is a white woman who begins to question the societal norms of that time, specifically the way blacks were treated. Their lives are intertwined, so the author goes back and forth every few chapters telling the story from a different woman's perspective. When I first figured out that was how the book was written, I was disappointed, thinking that the story was going to be very jumpy and choppy. But I was so wrong. Stockett is brilliant in the way she seamlessly meshes the stories together, cutting off a woman's story at just the right time to leave you wanting more, but at the same time keeping the overall story flowing smoothly. She knows how to use the power of emotions - I swear I felt a million different emotions throughout the book. And her characters are so vibrant. By the end I felt like I knew these women so well and cared about them, and am now left wondering what happens next.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I love books that make me think. And I don't mean because the plot is so confusing you have to work it out in your head (although those are kind of fun, too :) but I mean books that make me think about life and the way things are or have been in the past. I think the "tumultuous 60's" is such an interesting time period. The way people thought about the world, about each other, about themselves, etc. is so interesting. It's hard to imagine growing up in such a chaotic time, and I think it's interesting to compare where we are today to where we've been in the past, not only in the way we treat different races but also the way we view the world. And the technological/health advances are astounding. It's crazy to think of where we'll be in another 50 years. Hopefully we'll continue to advance and improve, both scientifically and in the way we treat each other.

In reading the acknowledgments at the end of the book, I learned that the author grew up in Jackson, Mississippi with a colored maid, and some elements of the book are based on her experiences growing up. I was surprised to learn this was her first novel - she has the talent of a seasoned novelist. I look forward to seeing what else she comes up with.

If you haven't read The Help by Kathryn Stockett yet, put it at the top of your To Do list. At the very least put it on your Christmas Wish List. You won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

Brock and Kristina said...

ah!! Thanks for the reminder...this is our book club book and I KEEP forgetting to get it. I'm going to reserve it online now. I'm glad you liked it!!!

Deidra said...

We loved this one! Chris and I listened to it on CD (well, until I decided I didn't want to to have to wait and I could read way faster than I could listen). The CD was awesome because each of the different women had a different narrator, so it was fun listening to their personalities and those awesome southern accents!

Unknown said...

i agree, dani. i really loved this book! one of the first i couldn't put down in a while.

Kimberly Gochnour said...

This looks like a good book, I will have to read it, thanks for the heads up!:)

Lindsay said...

This is the first book on my list.......after I get Harry Potter done. :) hehe