****Cold Mountain
By Charles Frazier
This one took me the whole month of February to tackle; needless to say it didn't keep my attention as well as I would have liked. It was one of those books that while I was reading, I enjoyed the story, but at the same time I was fine with putting it down and letting it sit for a few days before picking it up again.
In a nutshell, this is a story set in the Civil War about a soldier who is wounded and decides to walk back home to the woman he loves. At the same time, it is about the girl back at home and how she struggles to survive with the changes brought on by her father's death and the hardships the war has brought. The book interweaves their separate stories, alternating every chapter.
Like I said, overall I enjoyed the book - it was almost like each chapter was its own short story which was fun; but for how popular this book was I expected more from it. I wish the movie wasn't rated R so I could see that interpretation of it. I wasn't a big fan of the ending either - wasn't very satisfying for me; but maybe after it sits with me for a few days I'll appreciate it more.
Up Next: The Hearts of the Children series by Dean Hughes
In a nutshell, this is a story set in the Civil War about a soldier who is wounded and decides to walk back home to the woman he loves. At the same time, it is about the girl back at home and how she struggles to survive with the changes brought on by her father's death and the hardships the war has brought. The book interweaves their separate stories, alternating every chapter.
Like I said, overall I enjoyed the book - it was almost like each chapter was its own short story which was fun; but for how popular this book was I expected more from it. I wish the movie wasn't rated R so I could see that interpretation of it. I wasn't a big fan of the ending either - wasn't very satisfying for me; but maybe after it sits with me for a few days I'll appreciate it more.
Up Next: The Hearts of the Children series by Dean Hughes
No comments:
Post a Comment