Friday, October 2, 2009

The Obsession

Dani has informed me that it is my turn to update the blog of Hines. However, there has not been a lot of excitement around the home these days. I am quite excited that now it is October and officially Halloween season (my second favorite holiday after Christmas). That almost seems like an oxymoron. But, thus it is. But I am getting side tracked. I did think of a post I could publish and so here it goes.

A few posts ago I mentioned the love and appreciation I give my dear wife for a sometimes obsessive hobby. Fly fishing. The obsession began when I was a wee lad. I loved to fish but never actually fished the fly, instead I dunked the worm. I am not sure why, perhaps because I was young and intimidated by the beauty of the cast or the complexity of the sport. As I grew up I lost the loving feeling and became enveloped in other things such as school, sports, girls, and The Lord of the Rings. But the thoughts and feelings, though suppressed, lingered still and waited patiently for a time when life and decisions were more my own.

Enter marriage. Now, it may seem that this would be the least likely time when decisions and life are more your own and more than ever belong to someone else, usually the wife. For me, this is not true. A few years back, I am not quite sure how or when, I was hit again with the memories and passion for fishing that had evaded me for most of my high school career. I distinctly remember asking my dear wife one day if I might purchase the necessities and gear required for the adventures of such an activity. I also remember her asking if this would be a hobby I would keep with (I often have many a dream and daily change of interest in hobbies. Thus part of my problem choosing a career, but that is another story for another time)I assured her it would be worth while, and thus began the work of becoming a fly fisherman! (Little did she know what she was getting into.)

Now I am no professional but I do enjoy the occasional outing. This is what brings me to the obsessive part. Such as last week when I had to work all night from 10 pm to 5 am and still went fishing the next day without any sleep.
Did I have to slap my self in the face while driving to stay awake? Yes. It hurt too.
Did I suddenly become wide awake whenever stepping into the water? Yes (not only because it is around 50 degrees.)
Did I get sunburned on half my face and neck? Yes, and only half. Due to the sun strangely only shining from the east early in the morning.
Did I have to eventually sleep in the car with windows that don't roll down? Yes.
Did I wake up not only an hour later with a pounding headache and a smell that can only be described as un-showered sea otter baked in a 100 degree car? Sadly, yes.
Am I thinking of making that smell into a cologne? Perhaps.
Did I have to work at 6 am the next day? Yes.
Did I catch any fish? No.
Was it worth the sleep deprivation, sun burning, headache bringing, new smell sensation day? You bet.

I was going to try again a couple days ago but sadly succumbed to the 30-50 mph winds, rain, and occasional snow, and getting up at 5:30. After finding this video trailer I was disappointed in myself. Such videos and images are romantically known amongst anglers as fish porn. Watch it and perhaps you t0o will understand the obsession. If not, it's your loss. Enjoy.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fish Porn Brandt? Is that why it won't come up on my computer. We block those kinds of things you know. Great story. You are too funny. Love the blog.
Love you too.
Mamma Bev

Scott and Kel said...

I gotta tell you it just didn't do it for me, but I have what they might call "Fishing A.D.D" and I cannot focus for more than say, 10 minutes. You would HATE taking me fishing, let's put it that way. However, with that being said, there are worse things than fish porn so splurge away my friend...oh and Dani, have you seen the shark episode of Friends???? Good luck with that one!!!

Mike and Kaci said...

That is too funny! You guys make me laugh!