Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spilled Milk

Today at work I dropped my freshly-pumped breast milk down the drain. 

The bag spilled when I set it down to grab a paper towel. I turned my back and three seconds later heard that splash; I knew instantly what had happened. Liquid Gold down the drain. My heart dropped. And it ached for just a bit. If I had been at home I probably would have cried. There was no time for crying; I had to keep it together and get back to work. I cleaned up the mess (I was able to salvage about three ounces; I estimate my losses at about six or seven ounces) and tried to put on a good face as I went back to work. It didn't help that after that we were running about thirty minutes behind schedule and my next patient was one of the most ornery old men I've ever met. Needless to say I was a bit stressed. I couldn't help but think of this Hallmark card I've seen before:

Amen sister. Amen.
I've got plenty of milk in the freezer, so no worries about Jack - he won't go hungry. But it was still upsetting in that moment. But all things considered, my day actually wound up being an all right day. It helped that I got this great picture text in the afternoon:

 FW:no subject
"Hi Mom. Lunch was good."

I sure love that sweet face. He makes my heart hurt - in the good way. On an up note he went EIGHT hours between feedings last night. A record for him. And Brandt said he actually took good naps today! Maybe he's finally figuring out that sleep is a good thing (knock on wood).

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday :) And next time I pump, I will think twice before setting my Liquid Gold down in a compromising position.

Have any of you mommas out there had a similar experience with spilled milk? Please share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Danielle that is well I was going to say hilarious but I should say your post was not the spilling of the milk. I think I sent that card to Lindsay at one time. Love it I know I sent it to somebody. Remember the story when Sydney was in the NICU in Pocatello and everybody stored their milk in the same freezer. I was having a hard time keeping enough as they would make us go home at nights to rest. They said it was very important to keep our milk labeled (because a lot of the mother's there were on drugs and we wanted to protect our babies) and we just had bottles we dumped it in. One very tired moment I dumped my freshly expressed 4 oz. of milk I was so proud of in another persons bottle. The second I did it I knew what I had done and I did start to cry. I was to afraid to tell anybody but I wasn't worried about another baby getting my milk I knew i was healthy and not on drugs just mourning the loss of my precious milk. The picture is worth a thousand words. So so cute. Looks like Dad is doing a good job. Good thing is it very seldom happens twice. You are much more careful after the first time.
Chin up Love you!
Mom

Deidra said...

I'm not a pumper, so no stories from me. But MAN! That Jack is cute! :)

Leisa Moulton said...

I'm not a pumper either, but I did dump a few bottles of formula down the drain. That stuff is liquid gold too...so expensive! So I totally know that feeling. I'm glad you are reading Babywise. It is such a helpful and wonderful book! I always recommend it to people when they are about to have a baby.

Halfords said...

That would be awful for me! I never have a huge milk supply. So spilling 6 ounces of pumped milk would be liquid gold! So sorry! Jack has the cutest smile!

Anonymous said...

poor dani! i'm glad your day ended up ok though. i may have stories like this soon...crazy! little jack is sure getting big.

Jill said...

What a funny card. Way to be positive. I probably would have cried and have cried many times at work...haha. That Jack is sure cute and can't wait till I get to hold him again.