Thursday, June 10, 2010

Las Vegas Trip Part I: The Grand Canyon

Last week Dani and I were able to enjoy a vacation with my parents and travel to Las Vegas for some much needed warm weather. Due to the variety of activities and pictures, which centered more on the outdoors than the glittering lights of the city, I have decided to make this post in picture book style and divide it into three parts.

First, we traveled to Grand Canyon National Park. It was a grand day but there was a lot of grand wind as well. Here you can see the true grandness of said canyon. From the Grand North Rim to the Grand South Rim. Isn't it just grand? You can't see it but the grand Colorado River is flowing grandly somewhere down there.









Some have said The Canyon could never be made more grand. We found it was quite easy to improve the landscapes grandeur as seen here.











This little fella is known as Brighty. He is a sculpture of a once very real burro who inhabited the area in years past at Grand Canyon Lodge. I am rubbing his nose because it is supposed to bring good luck as the plaque behind me reads. It is also known as a great way to infect thousands of travelers with swine flu.









Not sure what type of bird this is but he sure was pretty. The next couple of pictures show a sequence of him stealing a potato chip that blew off of our picnic table. (We did not deliberately feed this bird as that is against park policy) Keep the wild wild, so they say.










Here he snatches the chip in his beak and gives a little pose for the cameras, we were beginning to think this was not the first time this "wild" bird had consumed processed food...











...and here he takes off to feast on a very natural diet of vegetable oil fried potato covered in salt. I am sure these can be found in the wild. I believe they come from the Potato Chip Plant Fritos layus.











After a fun but short day at the Canyon of Grandness we headed for Las Vegas. Last for this post is a picture of the Vegas nightlife as seen from our hotel. This is a picture of the new City Center. It is one heck of a hotel/condo/mall with refreshing and hip names such as Aria and Vdara. And this picture only shows about half of it.



More fun and adventure to come in Las Vegas Trip Parts II and III.
Next up: Bass Pro Shop and Red Rock Canyon.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun Trip! I haven't been to the Grand Canyon since I was younger (too young to really remember). I need me a Brighty in my living room ;)
I didn't know you guys had a blog!!! When I clicked on your name when you've left a comment it never showed me you had one! Anyway I'm way excited that I get to keep up on you guys now.